Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you stay a while, and find something that tickles your fancy. Feel free to contact me via email, Twitter, and/or comments.

WELCOME WHO I AM WHERE I LIVE WHAT I DO

Seventy Four - The Fourth Night

Or, The Night Lack Of Sleep Caught Up With Your 18 Year Old Insomniac, And She Went Insane (With Her Debit Card, And Also In Her Brain)

I blame my being broke on you. 
Here's the thing. 
If you're going to hurt me,
I'm going to stay up very late.
And I am going to spend money.
This, kid, is a fact. 
When I am distressed, I cannot be alone with my thoughts. And when are you more alone than right before you go to sleep, amirite? 
Sleeping is the ultimate, don't get me wrong. It's the absolute number one pain reducer. Think about it - you don't have to think about it! You get a blissful, thoughtless sleep where you escape all of the hurt and the suck and the crap. You run away from everything without having to do any actual physical exercise at all.
It's marvelous.
However,
Getting to sleep...
That's tough. 
Because you have to lie in bed with the lights off, your mind racing a thousand miles an hour.
That, right there, is the part I don't like.
Legitimately, it scares me.
I'd much much rather stay awake.
And avoid that small moment right before I fall asleep. 
So I stay awake.
But there's only so much you can do at night, when you're too lazy to do anything productive. 
So I spend my time on the computer.
But have you noticed that social networks tend to be less fun at 4:30 in the morning?
Everyone normal is asleep,
And all social activity dies down.
This is when I start to visit websites like Amazon and Etsy.
This is when the credit card breaks out. 
This is when my countdown to homelessness begins. 
I blame my being broke on you. 
See, 
If it weren't for you, kid, would I be listening to seventeen different versions of Excuses by The Morning Benders right now?
(Maybe. 
The Morning Benders is climbing quickly to the top of my favorite music list.)
However, 
I don't think I'd be listening to it, whilst wiping my dripping nose, being absolutely (and perhaps a bit dramatically) moved by the beauty of Chris Chu and his voice and the violins and the use of the wall of sound in this song. 
So I wouldn't go to their band website, desperately hoping for some tour dates.
And I wouldn't explore the rest of the website after being informed their only tour dates are in Japan.
(Damn you, Japan.)
I wouldn't do that, so I wouldn't click on link to their merch store. 
And I wouldn't see a button package with buttons that have some lyrics from Excuses on them.
For $3.95.
Alright. 
There is absolutely no way I can't buy that. $3.95? That's a steal, if I ever did see one.
A steal with $8.00 shipping.
Hmm... is it worth it?
Shipping is twice the amount I'm actually paying for the buttons.
No. Not worth it.
Walk away, Adriana.
But to do what?
I suppose could watch a movie on Netflix.
I remember the dilemma with my roommates earlier - none of us had speakers to plug into our computers, so we could watch Netflix movies in bed as an apartment. 
I should just buy an HDMI cable.
Really.
It'll be useful for....ever. 
And then we can plug our laptops into the TV.
And stuff.
Amazon.
HDMI cables for $2.00?
No shipping?
Done and done. 
Not in the mood to watch a movie.
My mind wont allow it.
What can I do to lift my spirits then?
Of course.
HelloGiggles.com.
Always.
22 pages of articles later, I run into an item-of-the-day article featuring a fantastic iPhone case.
I remember that I'm going to buy my iPhone 4S this Friday.
Well... I suppose I'll have more money than anticipated in the next couple of weeks.
I suppose I could indulge in an iPhone cover.
I deserve it right?
Right. 
Etsy.
Oh, this one is lovely.
But I really like this other one.
But would this one make me look like a hipster?
Wait. I don't care. You do. 
This one is pretty cool, I suppose.
But is it $20.00 cool?
Oh.
This one.
This one would look smashing with my new white iPhone that I don't even own yet.
Okay.
Purchased. 
Gasp.
The Morning Benders cover of Frank Sinatra's Stranger in the Night is now making its way into my ears.
My heart melts.
Okay. 
Okay. 
I need merchandise of theirs.
They're too good.
$4.00 buttons.
That's not so bad.
.... But with eight dollar shipping.
Well...
I could just buy a 15 dollar t-shirt with it.
Then it'd be worth it.
Right?
Yes. Yes it would. 
Bought, purchased, try to stop me.
Alright. 
Still not satisfied.
Still don't want to go to sleep. 
Should I buy Vampire Weekend buttons to accompany my Morning Benders buttons?
No.
Adriana.
Stop it.
Shopping will not solve anything.
You're tired. 
And hungry.
And tired.
And have to get ready for class in 15 minutes.
Congrats, you didn't fall asleep. 
Instead you're going crazy.
Stop talking to yourself.
I'm going insane. 
I'm never going to be able to afford art school.

- Adriana


I wrote this post in October. And I never posted it. I'm not sure why. So here it is. A nearly three month old post for your reading pleasure. And if that's not enough, I have another Adventure of an 18 year old Insomniac drafted. You're welcome.

Share this post:

Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2010 Oh, The Places We'll Go